Leslie Hayden "Les" Gillett (1889 to 28 Jan 1943)




Leslie Hayden "Les" Gillett
(1889 to 28 January 1943)

I couldn't let Anzac Day pass without sharing this information which I've receive just hours ago.

Les is a grandson of William and Sarah - his parents are James Gillett and Sarah Wagg.

Les was awarded the Military Medal for his gallantry in leading a patrol on 29 August 1916 in France.

A great niece of Les has kindly provided us with this extract from his memoir.  In this, Les describes being buried in mud as a result of gunfire. He writes “I was with two others, one was buried up to the neck in mud, I was covered right up, but the other one dug us out. They both went back with shell shock, but I stayed on. I went back for my false teeth which I lost when I called out for help as the mud was coming over me. The Lieutenant said I couldn’t have any nerves".

Extract from the memoir of Les Gillett
We don' know if Les ever found his false teeth!
Les's Enlistment Papers - Page One

Details of Les's action, wounding, award of the Military medal and return to Australia.
Here are Les's embarkation details-

Service Number: 3101
Rank: Private
Roll title: 19 Infantry Battalion - 1 to 13 Reinforcements (May 1915 - July 1916)
Conflict / Operation: First World War, 1914-1918
Date of embarkation: 20 December 1915
Place of embarkation: Sydney
Ship embarked on: HMAT Suevic A29

To access Les's full military records, following this link-

The family of James Gillettt and Sarah Webb - Les was their youngest surviving child







Popular posts from this blog

Reuniting the families of James Judkins Gillett (1848 to 1925)

The William Webb Wagg investigation (2)

The Webb's, the Foy's and the Sydney Flying Squadron