The Webb's, the Foy's and the Sydney Flying Squadron

So much of the Webb Wagg story is set around the waters of Sydney Harbour and Middle Harbour. 
The Sydney Flying Squadron at Kirribilli is a central part of that story. 
Here's a few extracts from their website to set the scene-
"The 1890’s sailing environment was the pinnacle of conservatism. Then along came this upstart called Mark Foy. He had made his fortune in retailing and had one of the biggest department stores in Sydney. He wanted to upend tradition and do things like have colours on sails so spectators could easily identify boats.
Mary Foy
The first race that Sydney Flying Squadron took part in was on 24 October 1891. Mark Foy’s 20 footer “Kannanook” and champion sailor, Chris Webb’s “Mantura” took part in the race. Mark Foy was a successful businessman known for the department store “Mark Foys”
Mark Foy's Kannanook in the foreground

Chris Webb's Manuta
"The Squadron men had little money, few free days, enthusiasm and skill. They were fearless and rebellious. Mark Foy was determined to fight on behalf of the Squadron. He wanted to make sure that skiff sailing was enjoyed by everybody regardless of their financial and social background. He organised an opposition regatta and financed the advertising and engaged a lorry to parade the streets with a calico sign. He also donated the whole prize money."

Recently, I met Maureen, a 2nd great niece of our Sarah Wagg (nee Turner). Sarah's sister, Jane, married John Trickett but more of that in a later post. I was up very late that night reading all the information that Maureen had left with me. Here's one fabulous story!

Extract from "Sydney's flying sailors"-
In a letter dated 3 November 1924, Mark Foy wrote that his intense interest in sailing and its adherents was unflagging. "On Saturday I had to go to the sailing races to keep my word given two weeks ago. It was dreadfully wet, windy and cold. Chris Webb won the championship and I decorated him with the blue ribbon. There was a great crowd, three big steamers crammed full and the official launch that I was on had fifty special people on board. I'll send you some cuttings. I have given my promise to the Western Australians to go to see the Mark Foy Cup sailed there on the 26th of January if I am in Australia. I have found that Chris Webb is a relation of our snobby family and I am going to ask him out to the Rose Bay house soon. This is how I found out.
'I was going over in the North Shore houseboat and speaking to the captain who is Webb's brother, and asked him how was Chris and so forth. I told him that I had been up to Queensland and he said he had been for a month to Adelaide. I asked him who he stayed with in Adelaide and he said 'I stayed with Hazel', and I said 'Who is Hazel?' He said 'She is your niece'. I said 'Do you mean my brother Francis' girl?' 'Yes' he said, 'she married my son'. 'Well, what is your name?' I asked. 'Webwag' he said. 'I always thought you were Chris Webb's brother', I said. 'So I am, but everyone calls us Webb and we leave out the wag.'
'Even in Adelaide where his son is making one hundred pounds a week is a big piano firm of his own, they call them Webb. So there your are, Chris Webb is my brother-in-law and I am damned proud of him and I am delighted because Snobby Liz and little Maxine hate the Hydro because I am a 'public housekeeper', so there you are again, and I will make a bosom friend of Chris to nark the snobs and buy my bacon from Mrs Webb'.
Molloy, Margaret & Sydney Flying Squadron (1991). A century of Sydney's flying sailors. Sydney Flying Squadron, Milsons Point, N.S.W

A bit of poetic licence on the part of Mark Foy. His brother, Francis Foy, was the father-in-law of Chris Webb's nephew, Claude William Webb Wagg - one of the children in our cover photo.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome aboard the Australian!

Reuniting the families of James Judkins Gillett (1848 to 1925)

21 September 2018 - The centenary of the death of Sarah Webb Wagg (nee Turner)